You must be able to code whether you want to work full-time in web development or create applications on the side. For the business owner, some basic technical knowledge will help you work seamlessly with the developer team and make better decisions. In this article, Synodus will introduce you to the most best web development programming languages and technologies, as well as how they work, so you can decide which to learn or use for your company’s website in the web development languages list.
- Types Of Programming Languages For Web Development
- List Of top 15 Web Development Programming Languages
- Best Web Development Languages With The Highest Salary
- Top Easy-to-learn Web Development Programming Languages
- Why Do Top Programming Languages Work Better?
- Web Development Programming Languages: FAQ
- Wrapping Up
Types Of Programming Languages For Web Development
1. Client-side/ Front-end languages
2. Server-side/ Back-end languages
Back-end development is the process of creating the logistics of a website; in other words, the things that happen behind the scenes.
Amazon is an excellent example of Back End development at work. You browse Amazon for a new shirt. A backend developer employs server-side programming to retrieve all information about shirts from a database. This data is processed in an application and presented to the user via Front End language.
Nodejs, Python, PHP, and other programming languages are commonly used to build the back end of your website. Python and Java, for example, are mainly used for backend web development. These “server-side languages” manage communication between the front-end interface and the databases and servers it relies on.
List Of top 15 Web Development Programming Languages
- Inherently Fast: running as a client-side script, which executes in the browser without connecting to the server, saving valuable resources for each additional user.
- Simplicity: reducing the time required to onboard and familiarize new developers with code, even for large and complex projects.
- Interoperability: It works well with other programming languages, allowing for simple data exchange with related systems.
- It has a more permissive attitude toward conventions and rules, such as assigning types to variables. If developers aren’t cautious about enforcing their own rules, this can lead to bad habits sticking around.
PHP (or Hypertext Preprocessor) is a seasoned player in web development. This open-source server-side scripting language was developed in 1994. Because it is an interpreted language, it does not require a compiler and can run on almost every operating system, including Windows, Linux, macOS, and Unix.
Features of PHP
- It’s easy-to-learn nature.
- Cross-platform compatibility, OOPs features
- Support for various standard databases such as MySQL, SQLite, and others, as well as large community support. Aside from that, PHP is a very secure server-side scripting language because it has numerous hash functions for encrypting user data.
Backend PHP Frameworks: Laravel, CodeIgniter, Symfony
Popular PHP websites include WordPress, MailChimp, Flickr, and others
Why we should learn it
- It is simple to learn for anyone encountering a programming language for the first time.
- Free: Because it is an open-source language, developers can use all its components and methods.
- Because it is a dynamically typed language, there are no complex rules on how to build features with it.
- Supports almost all databases: It supports all popular databases, including MySQL, ODBC, SQLite, and others.
- Secured: It has multiple security levels, providing a secure platform for developing websites.
- Huge Community Support
HTML, or HyperText Markup Language, is the foundation of web development that every developer should be familiar with. According to Stack Overflow, it is expected to be the second most used language for overall technology development, making it a valuable skill for web developers. It’s also the most frequently used language for creating web pages, even though it is not a full-fledged programming language.
- HTML creates the structure of web pages and is in charge of text and image formatting.
- It supports the use of templates, making it simple to create a website.
- It is light and quick since HTML is a simple markup language. It saves time for clients by reducing stacking time.
- It is extremely simple to understand and apply as a fundamental support for web advancement. School students can use HTML to create a static website with images and text.
- HTML allows developers to use different formats to be freely and easily accessible. As a result, it significantly simplifies the task of web engineers by decreasing the time required to compose the plan codes.
- HTML supports many programs such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and others. Because of its high quality among the top current programs, HTML is very program friendly.
- It is not possible to create dynamic pages because the language is static.
- A simple web page requires a lot of coding.
A fantastic programming language for backend web development. This object-oriented programming language is widely used for creating enterprise-scale web applications, android apps, desktop apps, scientific apps, and so on.
The primary benefit of using Java is that it operates on the Write Once, Run Anywhere principle, which means that the compiled Java code can be executed on any Java-supporting platform that does not require recompilation. To be more specific, Java code is first compiled into machine-independent byte code, which runs on the JVM regardless of the underlying architecture
Furthermore, Java supports multithreading, which allows for the concurrent execution of two or more threads for maximum CPU utilization. Other features of Java include platform independence, OOP concepts, rich open-source libraries, automatic memory allocation and garbage collection, portability, and so on.
- Java supports multithreading, which allows multiple threads to run concurrently, resulting in maximum CPU utilization.
- With only minor code changes, it supports vertical and horizontal scaling.
- It can handle massive amounts of data while remaining extremely secure.
Backend Java framework: Spring, Struts, and Grails.
Popular Java websites include LinkedIn, IRCTC, Yahoo, and others.
- It is straightforward to learn, write, and debug.
- It is transportable.
- It is tough and adaptable.
- It uses up more memory.
- Slower than languages like C or C++.
This useful programming language is widely used and ideal for back-end web development. Google heavily relies on Python. It’s one of the three primary languages used by Google (the other two being Java and C++). One of the primary benefits of using Python for web development is its large collection of standard libraries, which makes developers’ jobs more accessible and efficient. Python’s other notable and distinctive features, such as improved code readability. It is a more popular language among web developers due to its ease of integration with other languages, GUI programming support, portability, and numerous other benefits.
- It supports dynamic typing, making it simple for developers to create complex websites that require constant content changes.
- It is a powerful back-end web development language that works with other programming languages such as C, C#, and Java.
Python backend web development frameworks: Django, Flask, Pyramid.
Popular Python websites include Spotify, Pinterest, Instacart.
- Characteristics of OOP Programming can be simplified.
- Extremely scalable.
- Code readability is prioritized.
- It is slow because it’s an interpretive programming language.
- Not appropriate for creating mobile applications.
- There are several built-in debugging tools that make development easier.
- Because it is a type-safe language, type-related errors are reduced.
- Visual Studio Code, Microsoft’s free code editor, is compatible.
- Compatibility across platforms and browsers
- OOP concepts are supported.
- Code readability has improved.
Go is a statically typed programming language created by Google with syntax similar to C. The language enables developers to create more scalable and secure web applications. One of the significant benefits of using Go is that it has excellent multithreading support and a collection feature for automatic memory management. Other notable characteristics of the Go language include its ease of learning, readable code, Google support, compiled language, package management, powerful standard library, concurrency support, high performance, and many more.
- It includes built-in testing tools.
- Supports multithreading and can run multiple processes at the same time.
- It has outstanding memory safety features such as garbage collection and automatic memory management.
Go Backend Web Development Frameworks: Gin, Beego, Echo, Revel.
Popular Go websites: Dropbox, SoundCloud, Dailymotion
- It is very simple to learn.
- Has a powerful standard library
- Provides high performance
- Inadequate error-handling capabilities
- Lack of adaptability
The language is widely used by web developers worldwide and is highly recommended to beginners to get started with backend web development because it is relatively simple to learn. Ruby, like Python, focuses on increasing developer productivity, which ultimately speeds up the web development process. Ruby supports almost every major platform, including Windows, Mac, and Linux, and it is heavily based on many other programming languages, including Perl, Lisp, Eiffel, Ada, and others.
- It is compatible with various Graphical User Interface (GUI) tools.
- All major platforms, including Windows, Mac, and Linux, are preferred.
- It has notable features such as automatic garbage collection, centralized package management, custom dispatch behavior, and so on.
Backend Web Development Frameworks in Ruby: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Grape, and so on.
Popular Ruby-powered websites include Airbnb, Shopify, SlideShare, and others.
- There are numerous useful tools and libraries.
- A sizable and active community of supporters
- Has a strong commitment to web standards.
- Ruby programs are difficult to debug.
- It is relatively slow.
Microsoft originally created this general-purpose language for the Net framework. Along with backend web development, C# is now widely used in a variety of areas such as the development of Windows applications, game development, and so on. The language has many useful features, including faster compilation, interoperability, scalability and upgradability, component-oriented & structured language, and many more. Furthermore, C# provides a rich set of libraries that aid developers in a faster and more efficient development process. As a result, if you’re looking for a programming language for a backend web developer, you can try C# as well.
- It has a robust memory backup system and prevents memory leaks.
- It comes with a large library that allows for faster development.
Backend Web Development Frameworks in C#: .NET
GoDaddy, MarketWatch, Stack Overflow, and other well-known websites that use C#.
- It is the only language that Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) professionals use.
- Perfect for any type of web development
- Full integration with the.NET library
- Compilation and execution are quick
- Multi-thread applications are difficult to manage.
- Less adaptable
CSS, which stands for Cascading Style Sheets, is a style sheet language frequently used in conjunction with HTML to control the appearance of a webpage. HTML and CSS are the “mother of all programming languages.” CSS determines the size, color, and position of all elements on a web page.
- It has a cascading style, meaning an applied style will cascade down from parent to child throughout a webpage.
- It is compatible with responsive web design.
- CSS’s cascading nature ensures consistency.
- Simple and user-friendly.
- Increases the speed of page loading.
- It makes web page customization easier.
- Cross-browser compatibility issues are possible.
- Multiple levels, such as CSS, CSS2, and CSS3, might be confusing.
It’s a simple language that’s both useful and easy to learn. In addition to Objective C, object-oriented programming, exception handling, and type checking are all supported by C++.
- OOP concepts such as abstraction, inheritance, and encapsulation are supported.
- Has a strong standard library
- A mechanism for quick and efficient compilation
- Simple and transportable
- Extremely scalable
- Widespread community support
- There is no automatic garbage collection.
- Complications related to pointers
That is extremely fast and stable. It’s an excellent choice if you want to work with iOS apps on Apple devices. However, remember that Swift isn’t supported by all platforms or libraries, including some Linux distributions, so double-check before diving in.
It has grown in popularity and usage in recent years due to its ease of use and high-performance potential. These features have enticed many developers to learn it, even though it is still relatively new compared to other programming languages that have been around for a long time.
Swift users include Lyft, Slack, Delivery Hero, and others.
- Minimal Upkeep
- Excellent user experience
- Memory management in advance
- Popularity is low.
- A scarcity of experienced developers
Although Rust is still in its early stages, it is a valuable language to build your web app. According to a Stack Overflow survey conducted in 2018, Rust was the most popular programming language, with 78% of Rust developers stating that they would continue to use it.
Rust, like C and C++, was created by Mozilla Corporation and is used to program low-level systems. Rust has a high level of security and encourages developers to write safe and readable code.
Dropbox, Coursera, Sentry, Postmates, Ramblers, are Rust websites
- Good type system that allows you to focus on code rather than bug hunting.
- Excellent at managing resources such as memory and database connections.
- Ingenious design
- It is difficult to learn
- There aren’t many open-source libraries.
SQL, which stands for Structured Query Language, is a database language that works in conjunction with another programming language. It is used to manipulate databases as a database query language. It ranks third on Stack Overflow’s list of the most popular programming languages, with more than half of developers using SQL for programming.
- It is used in databases to create, read, update, and delete records.
- It is commonly used in business intelligence software.
- SQL has a straightforward syntax.
- It is transportable.
- It only works well with small databases.
- Scaling is both costly and time-consuming.
This is a popular language for Android development, and it recently defeated Java to build a web app more often. Kotlin is completely compatible with Java and has no limitations. It can be used to replace Java in Android applications, server-side development, and many other applications. It also works well with all existing Java frameworks and libraries and performs similarly to Java.
- Less flaky
- Simple to maintain
- Conforms to existing Java code Improves team efficiency
- Variable compilation speed is still not supported by Java.
- Hiring Kotlin experts is hard
Best Web Development Languages With The Highest Salary
The following is a list of the top ten web development programming languages in the world, in order of popularity and demand, followed by the average salary:
|Programming language||Popularity by user||Average wage per year globally|
Top Easy-to-learn Web Development Programming Languages
With limited time and resources to learn new web development languages, you should consider which languages provide the quickest path to proficiency. Fortunately, developers are frequently open about which languages are more accessible to learn than others. Many people believe that the easiest languages to learn are:
Remember that learning is a step-by-step process. Developing proficiency in these easier-to-learn languages will aid in the development of the learning skills required to tackle more difficult languages in the future.
Why Do Top Programming Languages Work Better?
No language is inherently superior to another since each has its strength to perform in specific contexts. Web developers should consider several factors when deciding which language or coding method to use while working on a project. These are some of these elements:
- Expressiveness: The expressiveness of a language refers to how simple it is to understand, use, and write. The productivity of a language reveals a lot about the expressiveness of your website. The easier it is to write; the more time can be spent on adding design elements to the site. The expressiveness of the code is related to how simple it is to add to the existing code.
- Developers will use a language that allows them to spend less time thinking about how to expand or update the code.
- The credibility of the language and the code is critical since it affects the functionality of your website. It should be simple to test, maintain and keep your website customers’ privacy safe. A developer should be able to scan the code and get a sense of how reliable the website will be while reviewing it.
- Performance is an essential factor to consider in the web development languages list for developers when working on a business website. Firstly, consider the amount of traffic your site will receive as well as the types of activities users will engage in while visiting the website. They will look for simple optimization for different servers and browsers and ensure that the code operates consistently throughout a visitor’s time on the website.
Web Development Programming Languages: FAQ
Which programming languages are versatile for web development?
Java, C, C# and Python are the most versatile and flexible ones. Which means it can support multi-purposes, not just web development but also software, mobile app, enterprise development and many more
What is the top web application programming language?
Although all the mentioned programming languages support creating web applications, some provide more advanced features made explicitly for web apps. Which is Java, Rust, Kotlin, Go.
So far, we have provided the industry’s top 15 in-demand web development programming languages to help you start a career more easily. Programming languages do not go out of style quickly, so it will be a good investment in upcoming years.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?